Medicina Excelente – Atención Considerada
(Excellent Medicine – Considerate Care)
by Kevin Broyles
One of the things that HOPE worldwide Bolivia (Hww-Bolivia) enjoys the most about the partnership with Hospital Arco Iris (HAI) is being able to strengthen the great work of the hospital and to participate in making improvements. The Consulta Externa provides outpatient specialty and sub-specialty care to almost 80,000 patients each year and serves as the “face” of HAI to our community. A group of leaders lead by HOPE Bolivia have been meeting each week for several months and are making steady progress with meaningful improvements. Improvements not only for our patients but for our doctors and staff as well. Some of our improvements have included:
- Opening the “Sala de Juegos” to provide educational activities and diversion for children and their parents while waiting.
- Creating a Rewards and Recognition Board – each month we will recognize outstanding doctors and staff members, as well as, our progress on our improvement projects
- Improving Patient Satisfaction – the goal of our CE is to have the highest patient satisfaction in the city – we are surveying our patients to identify opportunities for improvement.
- Decreasing waiting time – we are making changes in the way we schedule patients to decrease the time of waiting.
- Facilitation – HAI has oriented and trained a physician facilitator who guides patients, answers questions and helps smooth out the challenges of navigating the hospital.
These patient-centered improvements will not only increase the satisfaction of our patients but the efficiency and effectiveness of our outpatient services. This is just another example of the power of partnerships.